Monday, January 5, 2009

My way of handling the cold

Well, as everybody knows, Ike passed right over our humble abode a few months back and knocked down an enormous amount of old stately trees. He seemed to pass by a lot of the smaller ones and the sickly ones and target the tall and strong, Well, one of my thoughts was that there would be firewood galore here in Houston this year and those fellas that sell small stacks on FM 1960 would go broke this year. They often grossly overcharge the city folk for junk wood.

My one request for lumberjack Miguel, that came to do our tree- was to leave the wood small enough for firewood. I figured we should have enough wood for the next ten years!
Well, Miguel finished and left and to my dismay, he must have been an avid reader of John Bunyan. The fire logs would have worked fine for the giant bonfire they used to have every year at Texas A&M. Well, to my dismay, I had a lot of trouble moving any one of them. Worse yet, I began to see furry little creatures scurrying about and I really cringe when the rats are hanging out around our property. I feel like a mass murderer when I put out the poison and would prefer if they just by pass out house.
Well, despite Global warming- Houston still gets cold. It even snowed for 2 days! I had to have a fire!I employed the assistance of a big metal pole and used all my granny strength to move aside the major logs, freeing my pecan wood from last year. We had a little pile we picked up from a guy that was giving away wood last year but the Ike logs got dumped on top. That was my winter survival supply. So, we are at least fine for a few fires.
Does anyone out there like Chile beans? I make an amazing pot every week- usually attracting a number of fans from around town. We get a lot of visitors that just happen to be hungry. It only comes 2nd to my famous chicken soup. Well, you are more than welcome to drop by.
Is there a fee??????Yes, just muscle and a chain saw and a willingness to reduce the Ike logs to usable size and to recover the rest of my buried pecan logs from last year. In a pinch, we have iron wedges and you can bring an axe and sledge hammer and just split the smaller stuff. I'm not kidding, the Chile really is great! I make it to order. IT's about all I make anymore however.....
Happy and warm......January! Y'all come visit now, y'hear?

1 comments:

Maya said...

I should let Tim and the others here in the home read this.... maybe you should add 'lamb to order' in your post. :) I love you mom, if only we lived just a bit closer. Here it would take a full day just to get down there. (10-11 hours)I would be more then willing to get out there and help for your Chicken soup... I try to make it here at times, but I know that I always have some ingredient that is missing :(