Friday, December 5, 2008

I am a peaceful person

Few things have gotten under my skin enough to bring out any acts on my part that one might interpret as violent. I enjoy life and see the good side of things more often that not and enjoy the ups and downs of life as they add color.
Now, for my true confession. I have been fighting and waging a war of sorts, sometimes seething mad under my cool exterior when it comes to the recent intrusion of the PC into my life. That was about 21 years back. Well, sort of recent. The first one in our lives came rolling in on a delivery truck to my peaceful island home in Shikoku. Thank God that one never really worked very well, if at all. Some friends sent it to us from across the ocean.

When I first got married and started my family, I had no such competitor and me being a person that has always hated sitting in a chair and especially behind a desk and notably, especially with any kind of machine in front of me, I enjoyed the fullness of life .

As we traveled and lived in many other countries, we wore out baby buggies, numerable pairs of boots, clogs and other foot gear. My kids got plenty of freckles. We enjoyed camping, climbing mountains and exploring Swiss meadows in Springtime, seashores on 3 different continents and 2 islands, and even braving the driest deserts in the world- Death Valley and the Atacama in Chile. We biked and hiked to our hearts content. We swam and snorkled in different oceans and seas around the world. We ate an amazing variety of foods, some a bit dubious, ate in all kinds of establishments and at an assortment of tables.
We had a rare chance to become a part of so many people's lives around the world and learned their languages and customs. We had so many exceptionally bonding and joyful times as a family and I just named a few!
We had few physical possessions but we were blessed.
One possession that eventually came our way, in spite of it's blessings, has taught me that I indeed have a dark side to my nature. My family has never been the same- much to my dismay!
I have waged an internal war from time to time with these crazy machines that have become so important to those I love and love to spend time with.

I found the COMPUTER hard to compete with and at times felt like borrowing the neighbor's sledge hammer (ours is broken) or chain saw. I have thot of taking up Latin Dancing and concentrating on one square foot of area. I have definitely harbored numerous other destructive thoughts. I hated search engines and their new found power over the minds of man. I could go on and on.
Anyway, I have an announcement and that is, that I have conceded defeat. Those of you close to me know this already but it may come as a shock to many that I just purchased one of my former enemies. I have saved money to buy one for years, but always chickened out.
How did this happen? I am not really sure. I did a great amount of soul searching and goal setting and a hard look at the future. This is what I came up with. Knowing so little about this former foe, I am on a path to find out more and get the better of it and progress. It is a hard thing for me to do but I am determined. Teresa is quite humored but very patient.
I have owned a computer for a few days now. She asked why I have not yet been on it much....I am getting there. Yes, I will. I have a patient teacher- Teresa.
My former enemy will become my friend- but I still have to admit that I miss those special times I had with my family. They were and still are- my life.

By the way, I am writing on my new computer. Don't laugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a momentous occasion. May you finally be the one who can keep the old computer in it's rightful place. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a momentous occasion. May you finally be the one who can keep the old computer in it's rightful place. :)

Maya said...

Seems like Nadia wanted to make sure you got her point.... she had to post her comment twice:)