Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ah....sweet spring. Where art thou?

I have experienced a bleakness I have not known in Houston to date. For years the tropical vegetation has just grown and grown. This January's three day freeze changed the landscape and so many things are just brown and ugly. I haven't even gone out to clip away all the dead leaves from the giant  Philadendron. They were 8 feet tall!
So, the good part is that I am really looking forward to spring like never before. I already have my  seed packs of Basil and this year I am planning on planting it everywhere. This place is really going to smell good! We had lots of it last year but I am planning on going way overboard. The fun part of gardening is that you can always try new things and to make it more interesting. Our botanist and scientists are always coming up with cool and interesting varieties and plants that are doing amazing things.  George Washington Carver is one of my heroes. I am just waiting for the wise guy who injects plants with human DNA. That ought to be fun. We might have talking plants, plants that enjoy doing things we do, like aerobics and body building,  boating and archery,cooking, studying. etc. I can see plants getting more creative and ambitious. Maybe it really isn't all that wierd as our present generation of kids is being indoctrinated by spiritual veggies in Veggie Tales.


Oops- I think I remember a Twilight Zone about this topic. The veggies stage a "take over"!!!!
Oh well, I had just better concentrate on getting my little pots ready to start the seedlings and not worry about the future of plants. I just know they are going to enjoy spring this year.

Oh, I forgot about Groundhog Day. No matter what Phil had to say, our local Squirrel, Pete, said" Spring isn't that far away". Here in Texas we don't really care what Phil has to say. He has retained a lot of Yankee influence from the old days.  Besides, he won't disclose his birth certificate either. We trust Pete. Squirrels rule!  Hmmmm.....now let's talk about Squirrels injected with human DNA!

0 comments: