Friday, July 16, 2010

Delightfully humourous day

It was a busy day but with my "summer of Grandchildren", my days have been so wonderfully  full.. I find ways to stretch my time and try to be entertaining and creative while at the same time, keep up a busy work load. It is unusually enjoyable as I make myself do things I really want to do but never take time.
Today when Nadia left for the day, Jude sat on the lawn chair under my grape arbor while I helped Teri lather up Cheena for a bath. She has so much fur! . While we both got soaked in the process, Jude searched out  and picked all my ripe grapes and kept handing them to me. He didn't like them himself but had a great time watching me enjoy the grapes he picked. It warmed my heart. When he smiles, his whole face gets into it.
Back in the house, I answered a phone call while Violet and Jude had a diaper tossing contest. They gleefully emptied the package everywhere in their bedroom. I went a got a large bag for them to get to work and clean up but Violet cried and said she didn't want to because it was an accident.
My beautiful white poodle Lexi. emptied the trash again in search of diapers "of the more serious kind". Her brown nose caused me to run for cover and Teri came to the rescue to wash dog #2.
Well, off to the pool for an afternoon of swimming. It was great until I noticed I had gotten in the water with my cell phone. We packed up quickly and rushed home to put the wet phone in a bag of rice to dry and  got back to the pool 2 minutes late for Violet's swim class.
Well. where to now?  Back home for a special Indian meal we were supposed to all enjoy together for Mercy's last nite here.
Guess what? She is taking off for a month to take care of her Grand kids.I'd like to think I was starting a fad. I think she is really glad to be taking off as Teri also just finished the top to her new snake habitat tonight. She was constructing a screen for an old aquarium. Tomorrow we are going to pick up Ebenezer, the baby Ball Python she won in a Pet shop drawing. I am not sure anyone is happy about this except Teri and Jude.  Just think, I killed a Cooperhead last month. Anyway, yikes! Maybe Mercy needs help with her Grand kids in Dallas.
Well, my days are full. I actually just skimmed over the highlights.
I couldn't sleep so I put on a movie and watched Hachi and cried quite a bit at the end. I got up to get a kleenx and stepped on my schedules I had spread all over the floor. I had a sheet written out for each of the next 14 days and had organized them to study it all. I looked down and my foot was standing the the July 15th page and I froze in place. It all started coming back to me in a rush.
I had been trying so hard this year, not to forget. I had been planning a barbecue and had wanted to have a bit of a splash but this year but sad to say, our wedding anniversary didn't even make puddle status. When I worked up enough courage to look at the clock, I saw I had come close. I just missed our anniversary by an hour and 40 minutes. It could have been worse.
Well, I was sad at first but then I realized what a colorful day I had had and when all was said and done, it was a glorious day! There were no bad moments, only challenging ones that were fun to build on. I have not had my grandkids like this for years. Well, I just really do enjoy the little things in life. I almost woke up the sleeping man beside me to tell him we had forgotten but I didn't have the heart.
Now, I have a lot to look forward to though as since I remembered, I have time to plan something belatedly!
Just to mention also, Teri started an apprenticeship at a dog training school (once a week) and we are helping to run the Service Dog booth and Teri will be helping with demonstrations with the dogs. at the International Dog Show next weekend.. I have never been to a dog show but I am proud to be working with "working dogs" instead of just the showy beauty kings and queens. Hmmmm.....I am trying semi-faintly to hide my tendancey to be self righteous. Is it working?
Married......since 1973! Thank God for such a wonderful, spontaneous, kind, loyal, creative, brave, avant guarde, smart, hard working, handsome husband.

0 comments: