Sunday, August 23, 2009

My 2 August children


Well, they both hit milestones this month. It's funny how it happened that Teresa turned 16 and today- Jason is 21.
I feel a certain measure of relief and pride- in a motherly sort of way. Only moms really understand.

When I tell people I have raised 7 children (after being asked if Teri is my only Grandchild) they don't know what to say right off. Now days it really isn't the politically correct thing to have such a large family. Sometimes I imagine their real thoughts but they always try to come back with something nice. I may not be in step with the times but when I look at all 7, I am just amazed at the people they have become. When I first started out on the "mom journey" I was very scared, uninformed and baffled about just about every step of the way.
I had been voted the "most unlikely to have kids" back in High School. People used to come up with all kinds of crazy predictions for the High School Yearbooks and I had a few interesting labels I don't want to repeat.
Anyway kids- face the facts- you really do have a MOM that somehow pulled it all off and here you are. I know sometimes you must wonder at some of the crazy things that happened along the way.
It is true that you were not raised in Pleasantville but is it safe to say there have been many colors and hues of all sort in your lives? To me it seems like such a unusually interesting and beautiful living picture.

Years back, in ancient times, when I was planting my little gardens, raising sheep and chickens, riding horses and later on- teaching school, I never thought my life would be so alive and colorful. I was actually afraid it was going to be a dull life. I got scared thinking of eternity and wondering what we could possibly do forever. Everyday just seemed to happen without much variation.

Well, you all changed that- of course with a lot of the Lord thrown in and a Dad that could never sit still for five minutes. As the Texans say- he always acted like he had a hornet in his cowboy hat! Some how, "bee in his bonnet didn't seem to fit".
So. to my August kids and all the rest, "Thanks for being such fun and great kids." May you have many more birthdays and a life full of as much of a wonderful time as you all gave me and more!

0 comments: