Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Homeschooling in Houston and A Convention Texas Style!

It was an interesting event to say the least. I went to the same Convention 4 years back and I guess the first thing that stood out to me was how many more people are now homeschooling. The 2nd thing was how many of them were dads! So here you can see two homeschooling dads here in Houston. I am so proud of them!

The governor opened the meetings and explained all he has done to help us here. He actually just vetoed a bill that some opponents of HS slipped past. It had been passed by the House and the Senate. The bill was not all that bad but opponets of Homeschooling had slipped in something that would have seriously affected our freedoms- hoping no one would notice. It was noticed and so many people wrote, called and emailed that he vetoed the entire bill. God bless him for doing the right thing.
We were right up there in the fourth row for his opening address. Now, any Californians reading this may wish Perry was their Governor and not Arnie. Sorry.....you might want to consider moving.

Here is an enthusiastic attendee on the first day. They made him put the sign back or pay a photo op fee...Ha! Actually this Grandaddy homeschooling dad (everybody say Amen!) called off all his appointments and attended all 3 days. His favorite speaker was the WHY GUY ( Tom Clark- the Algebra whiz.) Tom was Teresa's favorite speaker too He makes Algebra understandable and FUN!. In fact Teresa wanted to sit in the front row-with me- and took notes! A enthusiastic teacher makes all the difference. We visited with him afterwards. Teresa was a rare attendee. She was in the classes, right up front , impressing the speakers. She attended a few classes on her own while we were in another.The rest of the teens were involved in the organization of things, helping with the kids program and passing out handouts etc. but I am so glad she attended the classes. In truth, she was the main reason I attended!
Brian (Brain on his nametag) was great. He is a Grammarian and had a program called Write at Home.He had a small hall but should of had a bigger one! Here Teresa is after class asking a question.
A bit lost. Don't worry. It all worked out. Right around the corner was the free coffee display and everyone perked up.
Last day- just before the last class. Ah yes, I can say I was so happy to meet so many dedicated folks and see what's happening in their lives. Homeschooling has come a long ways. I guess one other thing that stood out to me, was how open the speakers were against the Public school system. When I attended in 2004, there was just one speaker that I noticed having such outspoken fervor. This time it was just about in every class. On top of that, so many of the people were educated speakers themselves. Well, I have a lot to think about but I am so thankful Teresa went and is sold out on continuing her Highschool at home. That alone made it worth it all. I have a lot to think about but I am so excited about Teresa's last 2 HS Years and thankfully- she is too!

1 comments:

maya said...

That looks so fun. I wish I could have gone too. Love you and thanks for posting the pictures.