Thursday, May 22, 2008

A modern"Lewis and Clark Expedition" alias "Wells and Wells Research and Explorations"

While out on one of Spring Creek expeditions, seeking out new species of creek and bog life, we happened to come upon a trio of armadillos on our path, foraging for some goodies buried in the pine needles. It seems like we are always finding wildlife munching on something. We were certain they would dart away from us so we stood as still as we could, in spite of the voracious mosquitos that were ,speaking of the munchies, busy munching on us.

Noticing they didn't seem at all phased by our flailing arms, we moved closer step by step. We were pretending to be trees on a windy day. They didn't seem to bat an eyelash. I reached over and tapped one of them on the shoulder and he didn't even acknowledge me. Yep, that did confirm they were probably teenagers. I was feeling very thrilled by my bravery and budding friendship with nature and the younger generation. Well, I might have been bolder myself if one of them (the girl) hadn't of turned and headed my way to check out my shiny toe- nail polish. That was too close.

We were a disgrace to the profession of explorers, having both forgotten our cameras or even our art pads and pencils!

Teresa, our resident naturalist ( concerning animals and plant life, not the other kind that hang out on the French beaches) kindly informed me that armadillos carry diseases, especially Hansen's disease (leprosy). Ok, so much for tapping Jr. on the shoulder! I had figured they were a trio of audacious teenagers that hadn't learned to fear humans but I then named them the "Naaman squad". Wisely, we decided to enjoy the moment just a bit more and let them continue enjoying their dining in peace.

Hey, Armadillos are quite amazing up close with the cutest little ears and wiggly noses. God's got quite an imagination, wouldn't you say?

0 comments: