Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A day in my life.....keeping up with Teresa

I love walking in nature but it's just so hard around Houston. Stargazing isn't that much fun unless glowing orange is your favorite color and you like bright, noisy stars that move and land on a run way near by.
Anyway, we found a nature wilderness park not too far away and paid for a years membership. So far, it's great. We  have a unspoken goal of walking every inch of it.
It really is quite pretty and very cool. The trails are amazing but just so winding. Last time we went, just the day before yesterday, we got lost. It wasn't really all that bad as we could still hear the planes overhead but I had such a profound sense of being lost.  I think it caused me to get claustrophobic as the tree canopy was so dense. I had to really fight the panic for a bit. It was really quite silly but I realized how my life has gotten to the point that the way I live, contributed to my sense of panic.
Everything I am familiar with is about "control" and I was in a situation where I just didn't have control. I live a life of being informed about what's happening and being in charge somewhat. I had an appointment I was missing as well.
The creek was a comfort to me as I felt as long as we were near the creek, we had some sort of landmark. Besides that, the creek so aptly called Peach creek for it's beautiful clear peachy color, had a soothing effect. The color just felt safe.
The woods here can be a bit foreboding with the myriad of vines and they seem to move.We actually just walked past this big tree and were just a few feet away when if cracked in half and fell into the creek with quite a crescendo.  So, not only the vines move!
Anyway, I experienced a bit of pride when I realized we had covered 6 miles of trials (trails) that day. Next time, I am thinking we will do the creek by canoe instead. The trails are actually a small part of the park. It is truely a Texas wilderness park.

0 comments: