Sunday, May 10, 2009

An Avian Disaster Barely Averted!

Minding his own business, as usual......... Crackers was pounced upon by a maurauding 4 legged beast attempting to access his food supply.





I had the bright idea to hang my cocatiel's cage on the patio. I screwed in a big orange hook and all seemed to be fine and dandy. Crackers loves singing along with all our backyard choir members an he always attracts quite a crowd of the winged sort. He's on the loud side. The first day he was out, we literally had "flying room" only. He's very popular.
What I did not anticipate was the ingenuity of our squirrel population. When Joe mentioned that I should move him to a more central place to aviod cats and squirrels, I thought I would do that but I didn't make it in time. I was thinking he was safe as how could a cat or squirrel climb so high and then open his cage?

Teresa took me to see Star Trek for Mother's Day. I was totally captivated by it . I have been a fan since the first show. I won't really mention how many years ago that was.
When we arrived back home, we heard there had been quite a commotion in our absence- that a squirrel had opened the door on Cracker's cage and was chasing Cracker's around inside his cage. Karen heard it all and arrived screaming at the furry intruder. I admire her courage as she reached in the cage and rescued Crackers, enduring a bite as Crackers was hanging on to her with his beak- clinging to her finger for dear life. Mark relocated the squirrel.


When I arrived home, poor Crackers was hiding in a closet. Having bird dogs on our property, I figured that if a problem came, it would be from a dog. But a squirrel? What next- a crawling rabid green tomato?

0 comments: