Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's an established fact that,after19 comes 20!



The good "older brother"



































Jason in his first musical and theatrical moments. Now he sings and dances- with an emphasis on "dances." dances...especially dances!


.And following quickly on the heels of Teresa and her birthday, comes Jason galloping in on the 23rd. Just what is it about August? It might be easier to ask....just who isn't born in August?



Well, I was thinking back on just what I was doing when I was just about to turn 20. Evidently I was being prepared for having 3 sons. I was asked to spend the summer in the middle of nowhere in East Texas- helping to staff a camp for delinquent boys. The young people in my college had actually built the dorms for these guys and for some reason, the Dallas Judicial system trusted our little staff to have some kind of control and influence over these guys instread of sending them to Juvy Hall. We did have some pretty big guys on our staff so I just did the cooking etc. So, yes, my sons are all big eaters so it is a good thing I learned how to cook massive meals! I really didn't totally mean the insinuation with the "deliquent" remark. They are all angels of course.




I was thinking about how I was facing a big challenge. Fresh out of college, I had been asked to teach 3rd grade in a private school. I guess I have to clarify. The principal had asked me and all the other teachers were asking me and everybody else, not to let it happen. I was up against quite a bit of opposition but somehow the principal overruled everyone and "immature Miss Glines", suddenly became the main influence over 24 seven and eight year olds. That is a whole story in itself.
That was my battle turning 20. It was so awful andscary but wonderful and challenging....and it changed me completely. 20 is a really good year!

Put a challenge before a person, have faith in them and turn them lose. No body really thought I was ready but God did.

Well, all that to say, motherhood isn't easy. I keep hearing about that "empty nest syndrome"
and I keep pretending that just isn't for me.

Here is Jason at 20. He has actually been gone quite a bit- Ukraine, Mexico and Calif. but now I am hearing talk of another more permanent move this coming month. On one hand I am excited and on the other nervous. We all need that one person in our corner that has faith for us. I have just prayed for that a lot with all my kids and now it is his turn.




He really is a great guy and a deep person. We have had many talks and I have confidence in him that he has what it takes to stick it out through thick and thin and be a world changer.

I have had a lot of times through his teen years to practice "extreme praise" too. That is an important part of having sons, that and having a good sense of humor.

All considered, it continues to be a wonderful experience. I pray he has a wonderful year and meets a lot of wonderful people!
I am proud of Jason and the man he is becoming. I just remembered how I married his dad when he was just 19! Hey, anyone want to hear about that story?










1 comments:

Maya said...

yEAH, hAPPY biRTHDAY JASON!!!

LOVE YOU.