Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Rose Breast Clinic

There are so many things to fill our lives. From the time we wake up, til' the time our heads hit the pillow, we have constant input. It seems there are not enough hours in the day and then there is the reaction of  frustration. I have my endless TO DO lists.
New factors arrived on my door step this spring. During a doctor visit, I was told I needed to start medicine for Diabetes. A few weeks later, I was told there was a possibility I had breast cancer. I was able to delay the diabetes medicine by a promise of weight loss and a better diet. I was given 3 months to work on that. I was also scheduled for a breast biopsy at The Rose Clinic in 1 month.
A few weeks later, I was out shopping for a gift for my mom for Mother's Day when my brother called me about my mom. The doctor had always warned us that if my mom had a bad fall, it would kill her. She had been suffering from Alzheimers for the last few years. She had been under hospice care for about 8 months and care had been taken to make her life as happy and safe as possible.
My brother Bruce called that Saturday to say that my mom had just fallen twice and was not expected to live long.
I quickly rescheduled my medical appointments and left for California. I arrived there just 10 hours after my mother passed away. It all went so quickly. It was a sad time for all of us and we felt the loss of my mom so profoundly.
I experienced the loss of my mom and the potential challenge of serious health care troubles  all at once. I began to take a closer look at all that mattered in my life and it wasn't all that easy to slow down and do just that.
With  the passing of my mom and the trip to California, I had to postpone my breast biopsy for another month. It was a worry and on my mind. When the date finally arrived, we had pulled  up to the clinic all ready to check in, when they called me on my cell phone to say their machines weren't working. They wanted to reschedule me once again. Since we were already there, they agreed to let us wait to see if they could get it fixed.
The waiting room filled up and I was surprised to see I was the oldest person there. There was such a  strong atmosphere of fear and apprehension in the room. Everyone was facing what I was facing and all in their own stages of uncertainty.
I sat there and while looking over each person and praying for their peace, health, and their families, it was impossible to keep from tearing up. I didn't have  much time to wallow in my  own concern.

When the time came to get my biopsy, I have to say that the staff there were the kindest people I have ever met in the Medical profession.  Their concern and kindness made me tear up all over again. We were all in not just good hands, but loving hands.

A week later, I was one of the blessed ones to find out that my test results showed that my condition was benign. Thank God!
 I did want to write this post in appreciation for The Rose Clinic, the women that founded it, and all the staff. When I heard that they never turn anyone in need away, my esteem for them grew even more. In these uncertain days of health care scares and insurance scares, a place like this one, is a God send for women. It is a bad enough scare to find out you may have a serious problem but an even worse scare to not know what to do about it and where to turn.
I am thankful it is behind me for now but with a new concern for the women of this world and a respect and love for those that truly care. May we all grow in love and compassion and give what we can to make the lives of those in need, easier.



1 comments:

Claire said...

The recent fundraiser was a giant success.